You must be licensed to work as an unarmed security guard in Vermont. Licensing, rules and regulations are handled by the Board of Private Investigative and Security Services. Before you can obtain a license you must meet the following requirements.
- At least 18 years of age
- United States citizen or resident alien
- Mentally and emotionally stable
- No alcohol or drug abuse
- No felony or criminal convictions
- Complete 40 hours of certified training
A 40 hour board approved training course must include, but is not limited to:
- Role of the security guard (2 hours)
- Ethics and conduct (4 hours)
- Legal powers and limitations (4 hours)
- Communication and public relations (4 hours)
- Patrolling / investigation (4 hours)
- Emergency response (8 hours)
- Observation and note taking (4 hours)
- Statements (2 hours)
- Evidence (2 hours)
- Access control (2 hours)
- Report Writing (4 hours)
The license must be renewed every 2 years on June 1 in odd numbered years.
Registration is done by completing the Security Guard Registration form. The completed form must be delivered to the Board of Private Investigative & Security Services. Before you complete the form make sure you have the following:
- Driver’s license
- Character references
- 2″ x 2″ passport style pphotograph
- 2 sets of Fingerprint Cards
Forms and contact information can be found on the board websites.
There is a$60 registration fee.
License renewal is $80.