To become a security guard in the State of Rhode Island you must be licensed.
- At least 18 years of age
- United States citizen or resident alien
- Mentally and emotionally stable
- No disqualifying felony or criminal convictions
- No habitual drunkenness, drug addictions or dependencies
- Good moral character
While there are no state mandated training requirements. Your employer may require you to complete a basic training course. Such a course can include, but is not limited to.
- Role of private security
- Legal and ethical aspects
- Surveillance operation and documentation
- Customer service issues
- Incident response
- Security resources and addressing the public
- Emergency first aid and CPR
The license must be renewed every 2 years.
Applications forms are available at http://www.riag.ri.gov/forms/. The completed Security Guard Application must be submitted to the Attorney General.
There is a $400 biennial licensing fee.