To become a Pennsylvania security guard you or your employer must file a Security Guard License petition with the county clerk’s office.
While no exact requirements are stated. The following things will go a long way in getting your petition approved.
- At least 18 years of age
- United States Citizen or resident alien
- Mentally and emotionally stable
- Good moral character
- No alcohol or drug dependencies
- No felony or criminal convictions.
You must first submit your petition to the Clerk of Courts along with a set of fingerprint cards. Once this has been done your petition will be forwarded to the court administrator. The District Attorney will then review your petition, perform a background check and write a report and recommendation. Finally you will attend a hearing where the District Attorney’s recommendation will be reported. Thus it is up to a judge to approve your application.
- Fingerprint cards to go with your petition
- 2 passport style photos
- Letter from character witnesses confirming that you are of good moral character
- Completed Order for Hearing form before appearing at the hearing
There is a $17.50 fingerprint fee and a $200 license fee if your petition is approved.