In order to work as a security guard in Oregon you must be licensed and the following requirements must be met.
- At least 18 years of age
- United States citizen
- Good moral character
- Mentally and emotionally stable
- No disqualifying felonies
- No habitual drug or alcohol abuse
- Complete 12 hour basic training course
A 12 hour certified basic training course can include.
- Deportment, ethics and professionalism
- Cultural dynamics
- Notification of public authorities
- The role of the private security officer
- Reporting emergencies
- Citizen contacts in the field
- Tactical communication
- Laws that apply to the security professionals
Your license must be renewed every to year. Renewal includes a 4 hour refresher course.
To apply for a license you must complete the following forms.
- PS-1 Basic Application
- PS-4 Fingerprint Affidavit
- PS-20 Temporary Work Permit (if you are going to work as an unarmed guard while waiting for your official license)
You will also need the following items.
- 1 fingerprint card
Forms can be found at http://www.oregon.gov/DPSST/Pages/ps/forms.aspx.
There is a $115 application fee.