In order to work as a security guard in North Carolina you must be licensed. The following requirements must be met in order to qualify.
- At least 18 years of age
- United States citizen or resident alien
- Good moral character and temperate habits
- No felony or misdemeanors associated with violence, drugs, theft or fraud
- Be an employee of a private security company and be under supervision of a licensed patrol officer
- Complete an approved training course within 30 days of employment
Approved courses include 16 hours of training on the following topics.
- The Security Officer in North Carolina (1 hour)
- Legal Issues for Security Officers (3 hours)
- Emergency Response (3 hours)
- Communications (2 hours)
- Patrol Procedures (3 hours)
- Note Taking and Report Writing (3 hours)
- Deportment (1 hour)
An application must be submitted to the Private Protective Services Board. Before you do so, make sure you have the following.
- 2 1″ by 1″ recent passport style photos
- 2 fingerprint cards
- Certified copy of criminal background history for the last 48 months
There is a $30 application fee.