Before you can start work as a security guard it is required that you register with the state of New Jersey through the superintendent of the Division of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- No felonies or violent criminal convictions.
- No habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence or other drug related offences.
- Must not have demonstrated bad moral character, incompetence or untrustworthiness.
- Complete background check and fingerprints.
- Complete a 24 hours certified training course.
The 24 hour training course includes, but is not limited to:
- Homeland security and counter-terrorism
- Communications/emergency response
- Theft prevention
- Limits on the use of force
- Detention of suspects
- Ethics and professional conduct
- First aid/CPR/AED
A security guard certification must be renewed every 2 years. An 8 hour refresher course must be completed to renew the certification.
An application form must be submitted to the superintendent. The form includes, but is not limited to:
- full name
- place of birth
- social Security number
- place of residence
- telephone number
The form can be completed online at https://eapps.njsp.org/applicant/logon.do.
Fingerprinting must be done using the MorphoTrak form provided at the end of your application. An appointment to process fingerprints can be booked through https://www.bioapplicant.com/nj/.
Once the application is approved you will receive a temporary certificate to work as a security guard. This license is valid for 30 days within which you must complete a mandatory training course. A certified instructor can be found at http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/pdet/010311_actinstructor.pdf.
There is a $50 application fee and a $25 dollar surcharge. Additionally you must pay any fees in regards to background checks and fingerprints. The fingerprinting fee is $70.25.
When renewing a license there is a $40 renewal fee and $20 registry surcharge.