A license is required to work as a security guard in Montana.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Employed by contract security company or proprietary security organization.
- Not addicted to or dependent on alcohol or drugs.
- No felony or criminal convictions within 10 years of application.
- Emotionally and mentally stable.
- Complete basic security guard training provided by the hiring company.
The basic training course includes, but is not limited to;
Role of Private Security
Patrol and Observation
Surveillance operation and documentation
Working with and addressing the public
Application forms are available at the Montana Board of Private Security website, http://bsd.dli.mt.gov/license/bsd_boards/psp_board/pdf/app8.pdf.
Before you apply for a personal license, make sure you have the following;
- Recent FBI and Montana department of justice criminal fingerprint background check
- Full-face passport style photograph
- Proof of training by employer
- Driver’s license
The completed form should be submitted to the Montana Board of Private Security.
There is a $100 application fee. There may also be a nominal fee associated with fingerprinting and a $27.75 Montana department of justice fingerprint processing fee.