It is not required that you have a license to become a security guard in Minnesota state. The hiring company (protective agent) does however need to be licensed. Gaining employment as an unarmed security guard does have a few basic requirements;
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Not addicted to or dependent on alcohol or drugs
- No felony or criminal convictions within 10 years of application.
- Basic security guard training.
If the hiring company requires that you complete basic training it may include;
- Role of Private Security
- Legal Aspects
- Patrol and Observation
- Incident Response
- Surveillance operation and documentation
- Working with and addressing the public
- First Aid
After gaining employment with a licensed private security guard company they will handle any licensing and training.
There may be fees associated with training, drug testing and background checks.