A license is required to work as a security guard in Maryland. To obtain a license you must first gain employment as a security guard. The hiring company is then responsible for for handling your application to become a certified security guard. In order to apply some basic requirements must be met;
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Not addicted to or dependent on alcohol or drugs
- No felony or criminal convictions within 10 years of application.
- Emotionally and mentally stable
- Complete basic security guard training.
The basic training course includes, but is not limited to;
- Role of Private Security
- Legal Aspects
- Patrol and Observation
- Incident Response
- Surveillance operation and documentation
- Working with and addressing the public
- First Aid
Applications for individuals to receive certification to work as a security guard in Maryland is handled by the hiring company. Thus you should seek employment and the hiring company will take care of any licensing issues with the Secretary of State.
Before you apply for a license through your hiring company, make sure you have the following;
- Fingerprint cards
There may be fees associated the fingerprinting process. Any such fees will be forwarded with your application.