There are no state mandated requirements to become an unarmed security guard. A license is only needed if required by the employer.
General requirements set forth by an employer may include;
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- FBI criminal background check and fingerprinting.
- Photo I.D.
- Not addicted to or dependent on alcohol or drugs.
- No felony or criminal convictions.
- Complete a basic security guard training course.
Employer training requirements may include;
- Asset protection and security
- Human and public relations
- Report writing
- Patrols and fixed posts
- Physical security and crime prevention
- Fire protection and life safety
- Criminal law and liability
- Civil law and liability
- Ethics, deportment and professional conduct
- Emergency situation
In the state of Indiana employees act on behalf of the employer who is civilly responsible for their good conduct. Therefore to work as a security guard you should apply for a job. The hiring company will then explain any requirements that must be fulfilled in order to gain employment.