To become an unarmed security guard in Illinois you need two items;
- A Permanent Employee Registration (PERC) Card.
- A license to work as a security guard.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Social security number.
In order to obtain a PERC card you will submit to a background check including, but not limited to felonies and crimes, mental competence and alcohol and narcotics addictions.
Security Guard License
- Complete an approved 20 hour basic training program.
The 20 hour basic training program includes, but is not limited to;
- Federal & State Law
- Licensing & Practice Requirements
- Security Practices
The course can be completed local community colleges or at specialized certified security guard training facilities.
The application form for applying for a PERC card is available at http://www.idfpr.com/Renewals/apply/perc.asp.
Before you apply for a PERC card, make sure you have the following;
- Security clearance documents – a set of fingerprints and background check done at a certified Live Scan site. (listed on the application)
- A recent photograph.
The completed form should be submitted to the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation as stated on the application form.
Before applying for your license to work as a security guard, make sure you have the following;
- Proof of completion of the basic training program.
Talk to your potential employer about how to complete the registration process.
There is a $55 registration fee for the PERC card.