- Must be hired by a licensed security company.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Not addicted to or dependent on alcohol or drugs.
- No felony convictions.
- No felony or misdemeanors involving moral turpitude, theft or drugs.
- No conviction of assault III within 3 years of application.
- Complete 16 hours of security guard training by a certified instructor.
The 16 hour training course includes, but is not limited to;
- Legal requirements and limitations
- Use of force
- Emergency services
- Asset protection
Application forms are available at the Delaware State Police website.
Before you apply for a license, make sure you have the following;
- Fingerprints taken at an approved location
- Picture I.D.
- Private Security Training Certification Form
The completed form should be submitted to the Kent County (walk-in) or New Castle County (appointment only).
There is a $69 application fee and an additional $20 fee for the required I.D. card.