To become a security guard in the state of California you must first obtain a California Guard Card.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Undergo a criminal background check through the California Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Complete 40 hours of training and pass related exams.
The 40 hour training course includes, but is not limited to;
- 8 hours of training in the exercise of the power to arrest prior to being assigned on post. The course includes; Responsibilities and ethics in citizen arrest, Relationship between a security guard and a peace officer in making an arrest, limitations on security guard power to arrest, restrictions on searches and seizures, criminal and civil liabilities, trespass law, ethics and communication, emergency situation response and security officer safety.
- 16 hours of training within 30 days of employment.
- 16 hours of training within 6 months of employment.
A security guard license must be renewed every 2 years.
An 8 hour refresher course must be completed annually.
Applying online is a 5 step process. The online application process can only be completed if you also submit your fingerprints through the California DOJ via Live Scan.
You must have completed and passed 8 hours of power to arrest training.
Complete the online application form and pay processing fees.
Submit fingerprints electronically using Live Scan and pay processing fees. Links to the Live Scan forms and sites are available at the Bureau’s website.
Once the application and criminal history clearances are received by the Bureau, the cleared security guard will appear on the Bureau website. You, the private patrol operator or training facility then verifies this online and a screen print can be used as a temporary registration. You can then start working and will receive the actual registration within 10 to 15 business days.
When placed on assignment, the following documents must always be on hand;
- Valid security guard registration or screen print of the Bureau’s approval obtain from the Bureu’s website.
- Valid photo identification.
Submit the completed security guard application form, registration fee and a security guard Live Scan form signed by a Live Scan operator.
The form can be obtained from private patrol operators and training facilities certified by BSIS.
The completed application package must be sent to the Bureau of Securities and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002.
There is a $50 initial application fee and a $1 online convenience fee. In addition the Live Scan fees include a $32 DOJ and a $19 FBI fingerprint processing fee. Live Scan sites may also charge a Live Scan submission processing fee. This fee varies from site to site, but is usually in the $20 to $25 range.
License renewal is $35 and a $1 online convenience fee.
There is a $50 initial application fee. In addition the Live Scan fees include a $32 DOJ and a $19 FBI fingerprint processing fee. Live Scan sites may also charge a Live Scan submission processing fee. This fee varies from site to site, but is usually in the $20 to $25 range.
License renewal is $35.