- Proof that you are at least 18 years of age.
- Proof of United States citizenship or resident alien status.
- No felonies or violent criminal convictions.
- No disqualifying mental defects of diseases.
- No habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence.
- Physically fitness level in accordance to the applied for position.
- High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent certificate.
- A minimum of 8 hours of initial/basic board approved classroom training is required from a certified trainer.
- Security companies and employers may require additional training on top of the state required training.
The 8-hour initial training includes, but is not limited to;
- fire prevention
- legal information relevant to providing security services
- detention procedures
- methods of handling crisis situations
- methods of crowd control
- how to use equipment needed in providing security services.
Certification must be renewed every 2 years. In this regard an 8 hour refresher course similar to the initial/basic training is required.
Application forms are available at the Alabama Security Regulatory Board website, http://www.asrb.alabama.gov/Forms.aspx.
Before you apply for a personal license, make sure you have the following.
- 2 recent color passport-style photographs. Separated.
- If applicable: Military Separation documents.
- Proof of age (copy of current state-issued driver’s license or non-driver I.D.).
- Proof of citizenship or Resident Alien Status (copy of current state-issued driver’s license or non-driver I.D.).
- ASRB certification of training.
- ASRB authorization for release of information.
- Criminal history information release form.
- 2 applicant fingerprint cards w/rolled fingerprints.
The completed form should be submitted to the Alabama Security Regulatory Board.
There is a $25 personal license fee and a $41.50 background check fee.