Registration is required in order to work as an armed security guard in Virginia. Regulations are handled by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice and the company hiring you is responsible for submitting your application for you. In addition to the requirements for becoming an unarmed security guard in Virginia you must also meet the following requirements.
- Complete firearms endorsment form and training
Initial training depends on the type of weapon you are going to carry.
Handgun training consists of 14 hours of training within the following topics:
- Proper care and maintenance of the firearm
- Civil liability of the use of firearms
- Criminal liability of the use of firearms
- Firearms retention and storage
- Deadly force
- Justifiable deadly force
- Range safety
- Principles of marksmanship
- Practical firearms handling and safety
- Judgmental shooting
- Dim low level light shooting familiarization
Shotgun training consists of 2 hours within the following topics:
- Safe and proper use and handling of the shotgun
- Positions and combat loading techniques
- Decision-making for the officer with the shotgun
- Transition from sidearm to shotgun
- Shotgun retention and proper use of a sling
You are required to renew your license every 24 months. Firearms endorsement must be renewed every 12 months and 2 hours of retraining must also be completed for each type of weapon carried.
The application form is similar to that of an unarmed security guard, except that you should also make sure that you have the following:
- Completed firearms endorsement form
There is a $25 initial registration and application fee, a $50 fingerprint card fee and a $30 firearms endorsement fee.
Renewal is $20, renewal of firearms endorsement is $30.