In addition to the requirements for working as an unarmed security guard in Rhode Island you must meet the following requirements.
- At least 21 years of age
- Pass extended background check
- Pistol permit
In addition you may need.
- To show a need for carrying a concealed firearm
- Proof of completed certified firearms training
To obtain a pistol permit you must complete a certified firearms training program and achieve satisfactory range scores.
The license must be renewed every 2 years. Pistol Permits must be renewed every 4 years.
The application process is similar to that of an unarmed guard. You should however also submit an application for a Pistol Permit. Applications forms are available at http://www.riag.ri.gov/forms/ and should be submitted to the Attorney General.
Before you submit your application for a Pistol Permit you should make sure you have the following.
- 2 1″ by 1″ passport style color photographs
- 2 types of positive identification (e.g. birth certificate, driver’s license, identification card)
- Set of fingerprints on an FBI Fingerprint Applicant Card
- 3 character references and reference letters
- Proof of firearms qualifications by a certified instructor
- A typed and signed letter written by your employer on his letterhead including a copy of his business license
There is a $400 biennial licensing fee. In addition there is a $40 Pistol Permit fee.