In addition to the requirements for getting a security guard license in New York. Getting a license to work as an armed security guard includes the following requirements.
- Valid New York State Pistol Permit
- Valid security guard registration
- Complete a certified 47 hour of firearms training course
The 47 hour firearms training course can include.
- Use of firearms, safe handling and storage
- Range training
- Use of force and deadly physical force
A registration as a security guard is valid for 2 years. Each year you must complete 8 hours of in-service training to maintain your license. In addition you must complete 8 hours of firearms training annually.
The application process is the same as when you register as an unarmed guard, except you must also include
- New York State Pistol Permit
- Certificate for successful completion of a certified firearms training course
Information on obtaining a Pistol Permit can be found at the Pistol Permit Bureau website.
There is an initial $36 application fee and a $102.25 fingerprinting fee.
Renewal of your license (every 2 years) is $25.
Unarmed Security Guard Training in New York
CJS: Security Guard Training
CJS: 8 hour pre-assignment course lesson plan
CJS: 16 hour on the job training plan
NY Division of Licensing Services
RC: Training courses 2013