To work as an armed security guard in New Mexico you must have a level 3 license.
In addition to the requirements for becoming an unarmed security guard you must also
- At least 21 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Have completed training for level 1 and 2
- Complete a certified level 3 training course
- Firearms certification if you wish to carry a firearm
The level 3 training course is 16 hours and includes.
- The five firearms safety rules
- Weapon manipulation
- Types of sidearms
- Firearm retention and equipment
- Firearm storage devices
- Locking devices
- Ammunition and storage
- Training household members
- Hazards of loaded firearms in the home
- Mental conditioning and tactics
- Weapon manipulation and marksmanship
- Threat recognition and judgmental shooting
- Laws pertaining to firearms, deadly physical force and the exercise of the powers of arrest (minimum 4 hours)
The application process is the same as for unarmed guards except you should make sure you have the following additional items.
- Firearms certification
There is a $15 fee for each level applied for and $44 fingerprinting fee.