In addition to the requirements for becoming an unarmed security guard in Nevada. Working as an an armed security guard includes the following requirements.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Obtain a firearms permit by completing firearms training with a certified instructor
Firearms training course
A firearms training course consists of 8 hours of training on carrying, handling and safe usage of firearms. 5 hours of range training. Subjects include, but is not limited to.
- Legal and civil responsibilities related to firearms
- Firearms terminology
- Carrying, handling and using firearms safely
- Fundamentals of safe handling and shooting of firearms
- Range preparation
- Firing range exercises
The firearms certification is valid for 5 years as long as you pass a firing range test with a score of at least 75% every 6 months to maintain your firearms certification card.
The application process follows that of an unarmed security guard except that you must also submit a firearm verification form.
There is an $85 application registration fee and a $20 work card replacement fee.