In addition to the requirements for getting a security guard license in Minnesota. Getting a license to work as an armed security guard includes the following requirements.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- mentally and emotionally stable.
- Complete 12 hours of preassigned or on-the-job training.
- Complete 12 hours of firearms training.
The 12 hour initial training includes, but is not limited to;
- Security overview
- Legal authority and liability issues
- Incident/Situation assessment and emergency response
- Minnesota private detective and protective agency statues and administrative rules
The 12 hour basic firearms training includes, but is not limited to;
- Firearms training and legal limitations on the justifiable use of deadly force.
- Training in the use of weapons other that firearms
- Training in alternatives to use of force
- Standards for weapons and equipments issued and carried
- First aid training
Armed guards must complete 6 hours of certified training annually to maintain an armed license. The training includes, but is not limited to weapons training, first aid and CPR.
Once employment is gained, the hiring company will assist with proper training and licensing.