In addition to the requirements for getting a security guard license in Illinois. Getting a license to work as an armed security guard includes the following requirements.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Complete an approved 40 hour firearm training course.
The 40 hour firearm training course includes, but is not limited to;
- 20 hours of classroom training covering, amongst others, the legal use of firearms, ethical and moral considerations of weapons use, liability for acts while armed, use of deadly force, search, seizure and arrest procedures while armed, firearm safety and maintenance and fundamentals of firearm use.
- Firearms range training, including double-action shooting, combat shooting, positioning and distances.
The application process is the same as when you apply for an Illinois security guard license, except you will also need;
- Proof of completed 40 hour firearm training course.
There is a $75 application fee for the Firearm Control Card and a $100 application fee for the 40 hour Firearm Training Course.
Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation PERC card registration form
Illinois security professions license renewal
Illionois Administrative Code Firearm Training Course
Illionois Administrative Code Firearm Control Card