In order to become an armed security guard in Florida you must hold a class G security officer license.
In addition to the requirements for getting a class D security guard license in Florida. Getting a class G license to work as an armed security guard includes the following requirements.
- Successful completion of a 28 hour firearms training course by a class K certified instructor.
The 28 hour firearms course includes classroom and range training. The course includes, but is not limited to;
- Florida Statues 493, 775, and 790
- Firearms Safety & Mechanics
- Civil Liability & Use of Force Issues
- Handgun Marksmanship
- Care and Maintenance of Firearms
- Other required topics
Armed guards are required to re-qualify with a gun annually to maintain an armed license.
The application process is the same as when you apply for a class D Florida security guard license, except you will also need;
- Certificate of firearms proficiency
There is a $112 license fee and a $42 Fingerprint card-processing fee. The fingerprint card-processing fee is only paid once if the application for a class G license of completed along with a class D license application.