In addition to the requirements for getting a security guard license in Connecticut. Getting a license to work as an armed security guard includes the following requirements.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Complete a state approved firearms training course.
The firearms training must at a minimum be equivalent to NRA’s basic pistol course, a course lasting no less than 8 hours, teaching you to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. The course includes, but is not limited to;
- NRA’s rules for safe gun handling
- Pistol parts and operation
- Shooting fundamentals
- Range rules
- Shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions
- Cleaning the pistol
- Continued opportunities for skill development
Armed guards must annually complete a firearms refresher course in order to maintain their license.
The firearms permit must be renewed every 5 years.
The application process is the same as when you apply for an Connecticut security guard license, except you will also need;
- A firearms permit
There is a $62 firearms permit application fee.
Unarmed Security Guard Training in Connecticut
Connecticut Chapter 534 Sec 29-152u through 29-161aa
Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit – Private Security Companies
Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit – Firearms